TWD: Apple Cheddar Scones



This week the Tuesday with Dorie recipe was apple cheddar scones. I like scones, but thought the apple and cheddar was an interesting (weird) combination. But I made the scones as the recipe stated and I thought they turned out pretty good. They weren't over the top wonderful, and I think I would tweak the ingredients next time I make them, but the overall flavor of the dough with the cornmeal was good. I think my problem was that neither the apple nor the cheddar was a very strong flavor, so it didn't really stand out much. Maybe making an all the way savory (more cheddar and rosemary?) or all the way sweet (more apples and sugar with cinnamon?) would be better. And these babies definitely taste best right out of the oven...but don't all baked goods?



So I would say this recipe was a success because I am no longer intimidated by scones (although the sticky dough made it difficult to work with) and I have a good base recipe for the next time I make them. To see the recipe check out The Floured Apron.

Comments

Engineer Baker said…
I'm glad you're no longer scared of scones, because they really are wonderful. If you want a good base recipe, Dorie's plain scone recipe is the best I've found yet.
Pamela said…
I agree with you about not being intimidated by scones anymore. The pictures look good, too.
Anonymous said…
Rosemary sounds like it would be really good with the cheddar and the apples. Yours do look very good. I haven't had them with jam yet, but I know I must.
Prudy said…
Great work and it's good to conquer the fears. I love the TWD is pushing me to try things that I wouldn't necessarily choose.
Christine said…
Great work on the scones! Glad that you are no longer intimidated by scones!
Anonymous said…
Nice job! I'm all about changing up these flavors. Not bold enough.
Good job and congrats on not being intimidated anymore.
Jules Someone said…
I agree that the flavors needed to be a little bolder. Just like the baker!
I like your ideas for savory scones. One of our favorite restaurants (now closed, unfortunately) used to make cheddar/scallion, feta/dill, and parmesan/rosemary ones. And I just had one with sundried tomato pesto and fresh mozzarella chunks in it!
Mari said…
Another scone convert won!