Viva Enchiladas!

Tonight I attempted homemade chicken enchiladas (a meal requested by Chad a while ago). The first recipe I found was from Cooking Light, but it called for canned tomatillos which I couldn't find anywhere, so I searched again and found one that sounded like it might be similar to the brown enchilada sauce at my favorite Mexican restaurant in Tampa, Estella's. I wouldn't say the sauce was quite that good, but they were tasty, if I do say so myself!



Chicken Enchiladas

4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (I boiled mine)
1 package shredded cheese, divided (I used 2% Milk Mexican blend)
1/2 onion, diced
1 package tortillas

Sauce
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3 cups water
8 oz. can tomato sauce

Saute the onions until soft. Mix chicken, onion and 1/2 bag of cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.

Mix the dry ingredients for the sauce. Stir in a little water until you have a thin paste. Add mixture to pan with rest of water and cook over medium until it thickens a bit (I was waiting for it to get thick, which it never really does...it just gets thicker. Maybe about 15-20 minutes cooking time). Add tomato sauce and stir.

Spoon a ladle or two of sauce into chicken mixture and stir. Also add a ladle or two of sauce to bottom of baking dish. Roll chicken in tortillas and place seam side down in dish (my mixture made 7 rolls). Spoon remaining sauce over top and sprinkle with rest of cheese. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Comments