Baked Ziti

There is nothing I love more than Italian food, and I wanted something cheap and easy that would produce some leftovers for lunch so I made Baked Ziti. I started making my own sauce a couple of years ago (thanks mom!) but I never measure. I attempted to measure a bit when I made this so I could have some idea when I posted this recipe. I am a big sauce person, so this recipe makes a ton. I used half of it in the ziti, used more to pass on the side, and covered the leftovers with the rest.



Baked Ziti

Sauce
1/2 package mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce with Italian seasoning (I use Hunt's basil, garlic and oregano)
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained


Using a large pot, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in olive oil for about five minutes. Add all the ingredients for the sauce, mix well and bring to a boil. Turn to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.

1 box noodles, cooked (I liked the noodles with ridges so the sauce sticks)
1 small container ricotta
1 egg
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups mozzarella, divided

Mix the ricotta, egg, Italian seasoning and 1 cup of mozzarella in a bowl. In a large bowl mix the noodles with half of the sauce. In a 9x13 baking dish, layer half the noodles and sauce, then spread the ricotta mixture on top. Layer with the rest of the noodles and cover with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes to melt the cheese.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Did you know that mushrooms are a fungus?