Stuffed Mushrooms

I LOVE mushrooms...they are one of my favorite things. Chad used to hate them, but he was bound to start liking them because I eat them so much! This is another recipe from Elly Says Opa!, with one modification. These got rave reviews and were very easy to put together. I will use them again when I need a good appetizer recipe! (Sorry about the bad picture...my camera wanted to focus on the steak and baked potato for some reason!)



Stuffed Mushrooms

4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
5 slices bacon
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
10 oz. fresh spinach
1/3 cup heavy cream
20-24 large stuffing mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs (this was my addition)

Preheat oven to 400 and grease a cookie or baking sheet. Cook bacon, drain, and crumble. Set aside. Remove stems from mushrooms. Arrange caps in baking dish and finely chop stems. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over medium heat and add onion. Cook 2-3 minutes before adding garlic and spinach. Cook spinach down and make sure garlic and onion are tender. Mix in bacon, chopped stems, and cream. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Mix in cheese, salt, and pepper. (This is where I added the breadcrumbs. I thought the mixture was a little wet, so I added the breadcrumbs to thicken it a bit. I liked the flavor!) Stuff mushroom caps generously with mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter over. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Comments

Elly said…
glad you liked the mushrooms! i have added breadcrumbs occasionally, too. you just never know how much liquid the spinach will give off sometimes :) they look yummy and i wish i had one right now...