Mmmmm...meatloaf!

For me, delicious meatloaf was an oxymoron. When I was a kid, I always complained when my mom made meatloaf, but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate this home-cooked meal staple. I've seen Ina Garten make this turkey meatloaf a few times on her show, and have had it marked to make for a while. Tonight was the night, and I wasn't even planning on blogging it...it is just meatloaf. But this meatloaf was anything but ordinary, it was SO good! I made a few changes (like cutting it in half, who eats 5 POUNDS of meat???) but it's pretty much the same.



Turkey Meatloaf

1 chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoons tomato paste
2 pounds ground turkey (Ina uses breast only, I used the cheap stuff)
1 cups Italian dry bread crumbs
2 extra-large eggs, beaten

1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
2 tbsp. chicken broth
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. tomato paste


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Mix the remaining ingredients and spread evenly on top. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through. (Ina says a pan of hot water in the oven will keep the meatloaf from cracking, but that didn't work for me!).

Comments