Homemade Onion Dip

This is seriously the most addicting dip ever. I think I make it at least once a week, and sometimes (like this week), two! I learned this from my mom, but I think it started with Aunt Carm. The first time I made it I didn't think it was that good...I undercooked the onions and the garlic. You want the onions very browned and the garlic very mushy so you can mash it up really well. This was delicious at the beach this past weekend for Mike's birthday. Yum!



Homemade Onion Dip

1 large sweet onion (like Vidalia)
1 head of garlic
24 oz. sour cream (I use light)
juice from half a lemon
olive oil

Preheat oven to 400. Cut the ends off the onion, and cut the onion in half from top to bottom. Cut into thin slices. Put the onions in a single layer on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil (I drizzle it over and then toss with my hands). Cut the top 1/3 off the head of garlic, exposing the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and put in a foil packet. Put both in the oven, baking the onions for about 30 minutes (or until many are dark brown in color) and the garlic for 45 minutes (or until the cloves are nice and soft).

Using a fork, remove the cloves and put into a bowl (or you can do like my mom does and just squeeze them all out!). Mash the garlic with a fork, and then stir in the sour cream. Add the onions and mix, then add the juice from the lemon. Let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill and for the flavors to mix. Stir before serving with ridged chips.

Comments

Lori said…
It does sound very yummy.
Mimi Cooks said…
sounds so easy and good..but don't you think that one whole head of garlic is a little bit too much? my worry is that it would be more like a garlic dip than an onion dip. thanks for sharing..nice blog and recipes you have here.