Scallops Provencal

I absolutely love scallops, and when I saw this recipe on Kelly's blog, I knew I had to make them. I had a bag of bay scallops that we caught last year in Keaton during scallop season, so I was ready to go. This was good and light, and a great way to use the bay scallops. We find that they are hard to cook because they are so small and can over cook really easily. Bay scallops are wonderful with pasta. Next time I make this, I think I will use chicken broth along with the wine because it was a bit strong.



Scallops Provencal

1 lb of fresh bay or sea scallops
Salt and freshly ground pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
4 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of chopped shallots (2 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp dried parsley leaves
3/4 cup of dry white wine
1 lemon, cut in 1/2
pasta of choice, cooked al dente (I used angel hair)

Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper, toss with flour, and shake off the excess.

In a very large saute pan, heat 2 tbsp of the butter over high heat until sizzling and add the scallops in one layer. Lower the heat to medium and allow the scallops to brown lightly on one side without moving them. Then turn and brown lightly on the other side. This should only take 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of the butter to the pan with the scallops, then add the shallots, garlic and parsley and saute for 2 more minutes, tossing the scallops with the seasoning. Add the white wine, simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring slowly and letting the wine reduce. If you have lemon, squeeze the lemon on the scallops and serve over the noodles with fresh parmigan cheese.

Comments