Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa

I've been wanting to make fish tacos for a while, and that was my plan for this week...but when I went to the grocery store they had a huge bag of shrimp on sale for $4.99, so my fish tacos became shrimp tacos. The mango salsa is from my friend Amber (who served it with must fancier tuna steaks), and the slaw I just kind of made up on my own. These were pretty good, but I think I would have like flour tortilla betters. Damn those whole wheat tortillas being better for you! This made 4 tacos with a little extra salsa left over.



Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa

For shrimp:
28 medium shrimp
Emeril's essence
quarter of a lime
olive oil

For mango salsa:
1 mango, finely diced
4 big spoonfuls crushed pineapple with juice
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1/2 jalepeno, seeded and finely diced
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
juice from 1/2 lime
finely chopped cilantro to taste

For cabbage slaw:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar
chili powder to taste
coleslaw mix

4 tortillas, heated

Make the mango salsa the night before or at least in the morning before dinner so the flavors have time to blend. Just mix all the ingredients and chill.

For the cabbage slaw, mix mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar and chili powder together. Add coleslaw and stir (you want it to be pretty creamy, so just add coleslaw mix a little at a time until you think it's right).

Heat a pan on medium high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with some olive oil, the juice of the lime, and as much Emeril's essence as you like...more for hot, less for mild. Cook shrimp about 5 minutes.

Spread slaw on tortilla, top with 7 shrimp and mango salsa.

Comments