Lani's Ultimate Crab Cakes

When Chad and I first decided to have our anniversary dinner at home, I knew I wanted to make homemade crab cakes. I have wanted to make them before, but when I saw crab meat was $15.99 for 8 oz. I figured I would wait for a special occasion! My mom has used Tyler Florence's Ultimate Crab Cake recipe before and liked, so I thought I would try that. But as I kept looking I saw some recipes on Epicurious, Cooking Light and even the back of the crab meat container that I thought looked good. So I decided to do a combo of them all and come up with my own recipe.

These were soooo good. My mom had made the suggestion to break up the crab a little instead of leaving the jumbo lumps, and when Chad shopped for the crab meat he found one called "Special" which the seafood guy told him refers to the cut of the meat...it was more shredded. And it was $5 cheaper, which was a bonus! We decided we liked how the crab was shredded throughout the cake. It actually tasted like the ones we used to buy at the Publix seafood counter but have since been discontinued. This recipe made 4 crab cakes, so we ate 2 and froze 2 for later.



Lani's Ultimate Crab Cakes

4 slices of white bread, crust removed
1 egg white
2 tbsp. mayo
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped fine (flat-leaf)
1 green onion, chopped fine
6 shakes hot sauce
3 shakes Worsteshire sauce
fresh ground pepper
8 oz. crab meat
3/4 cup panko crumbs

Tear the bread and process in the food processor until you have fine crumbs. Place in a bowl. Add egg white through ground pepper and stir. Gently fold in crab meat.

Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Form 1/4 of the crab mixture into a cake and dip each side in the panko crumbs. Lay on wax paper. Continue with the rest of the mixture. (This part is really messy and the crab cakes will be pretty sticky.) Place cakes in the fridge until you're ready to cook them (at least 30 minutes).



Heat large pan on medium-high heat. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil, and pan-fry the crab cakes until they are golden brown on both sides (about 8 minutes per side). Serve with remoulade sauce.

Comments

I'm going to have to try this very soon - I've had a craving for crabcakes in while!