Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Banana-Pineapple Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

I have become the birthday cake maker at work. It's a little bit nerve-wracking because every time I bring a cake in I feel like people are expecting really great things from me! This cake made me especially nervous because I kind of made it up and had no idea how it would taste. Thankfully, it was delicious! There is a bakery in Tampa that makes a Hummingbird Cake, and that was my inspiration for this (Hummingbird is the birthday girl's favorite!). What I really loved about this cake was that it was very light tasting and also light in calories!

Shout out to Kelly from My Sweet Life for the frosting recipe =)

Banana-Pineapple Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting



Cake

1 box butter yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tbsp butter, melted
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Add cake mix, eggs, applesauce and butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Mix in bananas and pineapple. Pour in baking dish. Bake for 33-35 minutes or until knife inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting

1 box of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz. fat-free cool whip

Beat cream cheese. Add vanilla and sugar, and beat until combined. Fold in whipped cream until combined. Frost cake and keep refrigerated.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This looks delicious and easy, I will have to try it!

PleasureCooker said...

Good lord, this looks delish!