Baked Eggplant and Goat Cheese

My friend Alison is a foodie just like me. We exchange recipes back and forth, so when she started a food blog with her friend Janine called The Food that Sings, I knew I would find some amazing recipes. The very first recipe Alison posted was one I knew I would make soon. It was Eggplant Rollatini with Basil and Goat Cheese, and while I originally thought I would follow the recipe to the letter I ended up doing a cheater weeknight Lani version with...GASP!...jarred sauce! I usually make my own sauce, and will one day try the version Alison posted but for sake of time and what was in my pantry, jarred sauce it was.

I love eggplant parmesan and this was like the old favorite but kicked up a notch with goat cheese. I think goat cheese makes everything better!

Check out Alison's blog for the original (and way more gourmet!) recipe, and use the link to the left to go back often to see what the two of them have cooked up!

Baked Eggplant and Goat Cheese
Adapted from The Food that Sings



2 medium eggplants
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz. goat cheese (herbed or you can do like I did and just add some Italian seasoning)
A jar of your favorite pasta sauce (my choice...Classico Sweet Tomato Basil)

With a sharp knife cut the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices, discarding the outside ends (I ended up with 12 slices). Pat the slices dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.

In a bowl stir together 1 cup of the mozzarella and the goat cheese (plus seasoning if you have plain goat cheese).

Arrange one layer of eggplant on the oiled rack of a broiler pan, and brush it with olive oil. Broil the eggplant under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is golden. Turn the eggplant, brush it with some of the remaining oil, and broil it for 3 to 4 minutes more, or until it is golden. Transfer the eggplant to a large platter to cool and broil the remaining eggplant, brushing it with the remaining oil, in the same manner.

Cover the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with tomato sauce, and arrange a single layer of eggplant slices. Spread the cheese mixture over the eggplant, and cover with another single layer of eggplant slices. Cover with sauce and top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 minutes of until cheese is bubbly and browned.

Comments

Alison said…
YEA! Thanks for making it, and by the way your picture looks MUCH better!!!