Eggplant Un-Rollatini

I've been wanting to make eggplant rollatini for a while, but I like to cut my eggplant slices thick so you can really taste it, and I also bake my slices instead of frying them, so I didn't know if they would be that rollable. So I decided to throw them in a casserole dish layered like a lasagna and voila...eggplant un-rollatini. It was pretty easy to make, and I think I cut down on a lot of prep time since I didn't have to roll individual eggplant slices. This was delicious...anything that combines the Italian flavors of lasagna has to be tasty!



Eggplant Un-Rollatini

3 medium eggplants, washed and sliced
Italian bread crumbs
eggs and milk for dipping eggplant
bottled sauce or make your own (my recipe is here, minus the ground beef)
15 oz. container of part-skim ricotta cheese
8 oz. light cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonaded
2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided

Lay eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and then brush salt off. Pre-heat oven to 400. Beat eggs with milk in a shallow dish, and put eggplants in a second shallow dish. Dip slices in egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumbs and lay on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once. Turn oven down to 350.

Mix ricotta, cream cheese, basil, and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese in a mixing bowl. Cover bottom of casserole dish with sauce, then layer half the eggplant. Top eggplant with ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella. Layer with remaining eggplant, top with sauce and rest of mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, uncovering for last 5-7 minutes to brown cheese.

Comments