German Potato Salad

I stayed at Karen and Jon's this weekend and we decided to cook dinner instead of going out somewhere on Saturday night. Karen had boneless spareribs that she threw in the crockpot (so easy, love it!) and we decided to do pulled pork. I said I would make a side and thought I would do mac and cheese but then I remembered this great warm potato salad that my mom had made for dinner one night. I DO NOT like regular potato salad...something about cold potatoes just makes my stomach turn. But this is delicious and nothing like the old picnic staple you're probably used to eating.

German Potato Salad



2 pounds petite red potatoes
6 slices bacon
1/2 onion, diced
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper

Wash the potatoes and put them whole into a pot of water. Boil until tender and cooked through. Drain and cool slightly, then quarter.

Cook bacon until crispy and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in pan. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add flour and stir; cooking one minute. Add sugar, vinegar, water and salt. Cook until mixture is thick and bubbly. Toss with potatoes. Crumble bacon and mix in to potato salad. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Uh, yum!
I'm Nicole (a.k.a. "North") and I used to be a teacher at Alonso. Your girl McCoy directed me to this recipe. As one of their Xmas gifts, I'm creating a set of potato recipe cards for my sister and stepmom. They're both total carb queens! I think I might be adding it to my collection too!